Things we don't sell

The following products do not meet our criteria for sale at Pettitt and Boo:


'Rawhide'. These go through a very lengthy chemical process, including bleaching with hydrogen peroxide or bleach. Once that has been completed, the manufacturing requires the 'rawhide' to be made to look attractive, so strong glues are used to mould it into a shape, which is then painted with dyes and and sprayed with an artificial flavour. Furthermore, a gooey over-chewed rawhide bone presents a considerable choking risk to pets. 

Deadliest Pet Treat

Image copyright Rodney Habib, Dogs Naturally Magazine 




Dental Sticks, such as Pedigree 'Dentastix'. These have broad ingredient lists that do not provide the pet owner with clear information about what they are feeding their pet. For example, 'cereals' (What cereals? Corn? Grains?), Meat & animal and vegetable 'derivatives'. Who knows! What we do know is that Dentastix also contain sodium tripolyphosphate, which is a chemical often found in detergents.

Dental sticks



Cooked Bones. Pets should NEVER be given cooked bones of any sort, including chicken and fish. There is a high risk of cooked bones being brittle and splintering whilst in your dogs gastrointestinal tract, causing damage that could be painful or even fatal.

Cooked bonecooked bone 2

The Junior Vice President of the British Veterinary Associations provided this comment to The Telegraph Newspaper: “Cooked bones are dangerous to cats and dogs and vets routinely see animals who have consumed them, whether through being fed the cooked bones directly or from finding them whilst scavenging through bins. In many cases the animals will require surgery to remove bone shards, splinters and blockages, but it can also prove fatal. We ask owners to never feed their pets cooked bones, and to also dispose of any bones left over from their own meal safely and securely to avoid pets seeking them out again.”




Synthetic/nylon bones or toys. There are some risks associated with plastic/rubber bones, whereby a piece of the chew can break off and be ingested. This is especially a risk with small breeds of dog. It will likely cause stomach pains for your dog, in addition to which, if the piece that breaks off is large enough, it can risk causing a blockage in the small intestine. The manufacturers of these products have a disclaimer on the packaging which states that if you suspect your dog has ingested a piece of the chew, that you should seek veterinary advice immediately. 

synthetic bonesynthetic bone 2

If you have any questions about any products that we sell, please do contact us and we will be very happy to help.